- For the crust:
1 recipe of my double pie crust
1 3.5 inch heart cookie cutter
1 mini heart cutter
some course sugar sprinkles
1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp of milk or water
- For the blueberry filling:
2 cups frozen blueberries
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp lemon juice
4 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp cinnamon
zest of one small lemon
- In a small saucepan, mix the blueberries, cornstarch, lemon juice and sugar on medium-low heat.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until thickened. Turn heat off.
- Add the vanilla and lemon zest. Set aside to cool.
- Roll out one pie crust, and cut out 6 3.5 inch hearts. Roll out the other pie crust, and cut out another 6
- Use a mini heart cutter to make the hole in the middle of 6 of the hearts. These will go on top of the filling.
- Take the first batch of hearts and put about 1 tbsp of filling in the middle. Brush edges with egg wash. Place the heart with the hole in the middle on top, and seal edges with fork.
- Brush top with egg wash, and stick the tiny hearts that were cut out onto the pie to decorate.
- Sprinkle with the coarse sugar sprinkles. Bake at 400 degrees for around 18 min, or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Enjoy!