- Bechamel Sauce:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch of nutmeg
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- For The Ground Beef Mixture:
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, diced
4 minced garlic cloves
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp arabic 7 spice mix
1 pound penne pasta, cooked
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for a couple of minutes until smooth.
- Gradually add the milk and chicken stock, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the garlic powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thickened. Turn heat off.
- Gradually whisk in the beaten egg. Stir in the cheese until melted. Set aside.
- In a large pan, add the ground beef, breaking up until almost all browned.
- Stir in the onion and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, salt, pepper and arabic spice. Stir until well combined.
- Mix a couple of ladles of béchamel sauce into the cooked pasta and stir to coat.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, pour half the pasta at the bottom, then cover with the meat mixture, the rest of the pasta, then pour béchamel all over top.
- Bake uncovered, in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until browned on top. Let rest for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!