This dish is a cross between Congee and Bibimbap! Two of my favourite dishes, why not combine them:)
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 pound ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery, diced
1 cup finely diced button mushrooms
4 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
1 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown, or regular)
1 tbsp gochuchang paste (Korean red pepper paste)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup chopped kimchi
1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
6 cups water
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp more of sesame oil
2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
toasted sesame seeds
- In a large pot heat oil. Add ground beef, breaking up until almost browned.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Cook for a couple of minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, sugar, gochuchang, soy sauce salt and pepper. Cook for another minute until well combined.
- Stir in the kimchi and rice, stir until well coated.
- Add the water, stock and fish sauce, bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until rice is done, and it’s thickened a little.
- Add the sesame oil and the spinach. Cook for another 2-5 minutes. Garnish with sesame seeds if desired. This gets thicker as it sits. Enjoy!