2 pounds ground beef
2 small onions (or one large) chopped
2 small bay leaves
1/4 tsp chili flakes
2 tsp sugar
4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp each of dried basil, oregano and Italian seasoning
6 minced garlic cloves
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup red wine
2 jars passata (48oz)
1/2-1 cup water to clean out passata jars
1 parmesan rind
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pan, on med-high heat, add round beef, breaking cup, until almost browned.
- Add onions, bay leaves and chili flakes, and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sugar salt, pepper, spices and garlic. Cook for another minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and red wine. Stir until almost all absorbed.
- Add the tomato puree, the water and the parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for around 25-30 minutes.
- Remove parm rind and bay leaves.
- Add the freshly grated parmesan cheese. Serve over pasta. Enjoy!