1 cup egg whites
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small chunks
1 tbsp vanilla
- Place bowl of a stand mixer over a pan of simmering water, without the bottom of the bowl touching the water.
- Add the egg whites and sugar. Whisk for a few minutes, until sugar is completely dissolved and eg whites are very warm. You should not be able to feel sugar granules from the mixture between your fingers.
- Take the bowl back to the mixer and with the whisk attachment, beat on medium high speed until the bottom of the bowl is no longer warm to the touch, and meringue is stiff and glossy, about 7-10 minutes.
- Switch to the paddle attachment, and with the mixer on low speed, gradually add pieces of butter, one at a time, until finished.
- At this point, if the buttercream is runny, place in the fridge for 20 minutes, then beat again. If the mixture is curdling, check the temperature with a thermometer. It should read 73 degrees F. If it’s too cold, microwave about 1 cup of it until a little melted, then beat that back in. If the mixture is too warm, chill again.
- Once it whips up, add the vanilla and beat until incorporated. You can use this to ice cakes or cupcakes. Enjoy!