2 pounds ground beef
2 onions, chopped
2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
2 small bay leaves
1 large cinnamon stick
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp each chili powder, cumin and oregano
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper
4 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, halved lengthwise and chopped
2 small green or red bell peppers, diced
2 28oz/796ml cans whole tomatoes, broken up
2 cups chicken stock
2 19oz cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Toppings-Shredded cheddar, guacamole, sour cream and more chopped cilantro
- In a large pot bowl beef on high heat until no longer pink.
- Add onions, chipotle peppers, bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Stir for about 1 min.
- Add garlic, brown sugar, cocoa powder and all the spices. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes until beef is coated well.
- Add the celery and carrots. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, cook for a minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes and the stock. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and cook for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
- Turn heat off and stir in the fresh cilantro. Serve with toppings of your choice. Enjoy!