This is one of my husband’s favorite dishes! For this recipe, I use my homemade Jamaican curry powder. Traditionally, scotch bonnet pepper is used here, but I just used what I had. Also, you can add green onions with the cilantro, which is used a lot in Jamaican cooking.
1 1/2 lb bone-in, skinless chicken thighs, (or legs), cut into small pieces through the bone
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp allspice berries
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 green finger chilies, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 1/2 cups water, divided
3 small potatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp more of homemade Jamaican curry powder
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- In a medium bowl, add the chicken pieces.
- Add salt, pepper and curry powder. Mix until well coated
- In a medium pan, heat coconut oil.
- Add the allspice berries and thyme. Cook for 30 seconds or so.
- Add the chilies and stir. Add the chicken pieces in one layer. Let cook until chicken gets some colour. Then stir.
- Add the onion, stir until mixed in. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and stir to coat.
- Then add sugar and tomato paste, stirring well to combine.
- Add the garlic and ginger, stirring for about 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of water, stirring everything together.
- Then cover, simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Now add the potatoes, sea salt and the 1 tsp curry powder. Stir very well.
- Add 1 cup of water, cover and cook for around 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off, add the cilantro, stir and serve over white rice. Enjoy!