This is one of my favorite comfort foods! If it’s made with ground beef, it’s called cottage pie. But the more common name for it is shepherd’s pie, because it’s originally made with ground lamb. Either way, this dish is delicious! Meat and mashed potatoes all in one dish!
2 lb potatos, chopped
1 tsp sea salt for water
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup chicken stock
For the filling:
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 large celery stalk, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 large garlic cloves, minced. (It says 1 in the video by mistake)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp browining
2 tbsp. worsestershire sauce
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
1 cup frozen peas
- In a large pot, add potatoes. Cover potatoes with water. Bring to a boil. Add 1 tsp sea salt.
- Boil for around 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- In the meantime, melt butter in a small pot. Add garlic.
- Cook for around 30 seconds.
- Add the cream and milk. Whisk.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the beaten egg until smooth. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes. While mashing, add the cream liquid. Mash in, then add chicken stock. Mash and stir until smooth.
- For the filling, heat pan. Add ground beef, breaking it up, until browned. Add the onion, celery and carrot. Cook for around 5-8 minutes.
- Add the thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Add the tomato paste, browning and worsestershire sauce. Stir until completely coated.
- Add the red wine. Simmer for around 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, and simmer for around 2 minutes. Lower heat and cover pan. Simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Stir in the cornstarch/water mixture. Simmer, stirring for 1 minute until mixture is thickened.
- Stir in the frozen peas.
- Pour the filling into a 9×11 inch baking dish.
- With and ice cream scoop, add potatoes on top, spreading out evenly with a spatula. If desired, make a design with a fork in the potatoes.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for around 20 minutes, until filling is bubbling. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!