1-2 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 carrots, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
250g mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp each dried thyme and dried rosemary
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp browning
300g brown lentils, rinsed and drained
100g red lentils, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup vegan red wine or veggie stock
1/2 cup veggie stock plus 2-3 tbsp more, if mixture is dry.
For the potatoes:
2-2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, diced
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Press saute button on instant pot. Add oil.
- Add onions, cook for around 2 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots. Cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- Add garlic and mix.
- Add mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste and stir well.
- Now add the worsestershire sauce and the browning and stir.
- Add both lentils and stir to coat.
- Now stir in the wine, then the stock.
- Turn off the instant pot. Lower in the sweet potatoes in a steamer basket.
- Cover the instant pot and place the knob to sealing. Press soup button and adjust to 8 minutes.
- When done, turn off the instant pot, and turn the knob to venting to release the pressure.
- Once all the pressure is done releasing, open the instant pot.
- Take out the sweet potatos and dump them into a bowl from the steamer basket. Set aside.
- Stir the lentil mixture. If it’s too dry, add 2-4 tbsp more of stock, to your desired consistency.
- Pour filling into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spread evenly.
- To the bowl of sweet potatoes, add the coconut oil, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. Mash well until smooth.
- Dollop onto the lentil filling, and spread carefully and evenly.
- Bake at 400 for around 10 minutes, and 5 minutes under the broiler for a golden brown colour. Enjoy!
Note-if you want a thicker potato topping, you can double the potato recipe. 🙂