This is such a great fall dessert! Double crust recipe found here-https://www.iftheovenmittfits.com/2018/10/13/double-pie-crust/
7 Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp homemade apple pie spice
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp cornstarch
Another 2 tbsp unsalted butter
Double pie crust, recipe here-https://www.iftheovenmittfits.com/2018/10/13/double-pie-crust/
1. In a bowl, mix sliced apples with lemon juice. Mix well.
2. Add the brown sugar, cornstarch, spices and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Strain the apples for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Make sure to save the liquid!
4. Meanwhile, line your pie plate with your pie crust, and chill.
5. In a small pan, melt 2 tbsp unsalted butter.
6. In a small bowl, mix 2 tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp of the strained liquid from the apples. (You should have about 1 cup or so in total). Whisk until smooth.
7. Add liquid from the apples to the melted butter in the pan and whisk until starting to bubble.
8. Then add the cornstarch mixture. Let it bubble until it gets thicker, and turns into a paste. If it doesn’t get to a paste, you may have to do ½ tsp more of cornstarch, mixed with ½ tsp water and add it in. Set aside for a few minutes to cool.
9. Mix the paste into the apples. Mix well, then pour the apples into the pie shell. Dot with 2 tbsp unsalted butter.
10. Roll your second pie crust out over the apple filling. Cut slits in the dough for steam to escape.
11. With extra scraps from trimmed off crust, make decorations (if desired) .
12. Whisk one egg in a small bowl. Brush top and edges of pie with eggwash.
13. Place the decorations on top. Brush with eggwash.
14. Sprinkle with sanding sugar. Chill in the fridge for about 20-25 minutes.
15. Bake pie at 425 for 15 minutes. Then lower heat to 350, and bake for another 40 minutes. Let cool for at least 3 hours, then serve, or refrigerate, and reheat for serving the next day. Enjoy!