2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
Half an onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp chili flakes
6 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed or puréed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
Piece of Parmesan rind
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (optional)
1. Heat olive oil and butter in pan.
2. Add onions. Cook 1-2 min
3. Add garlic and chili flakes. Cook 1 min
4. Add tomatoes, spices and Parmesan rind.
5. Bring to boil, lower heat, simmer, partially covered for about 30 min to 1 hour.
6. Stir in freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Enjoy!
I used this for my chicken parmesan and Tilapia with chickpeas recipe here: http://www.iftheovenmittfits.com/2018/05/25/tilapia-and-chickpeas-in-homemade-tomato-sauce/ and http://www.iftheovenmittfits.com/2018/07/05/chicken-parmesean/